CATEC's Building Trades program prepares students to study all aspects of the in-demand construction industry. Students erect, install, maintain, and repair buildings and other structures using materials. These materials include metal, wood, stone, brick, glass, concrete, and composition substances. Students focus on developing skills in core safety expectations in the masonry, carpentry, electricity, and plumbing professions. Students can earn one year of related technical instruction (RTI) towards an apprenticeship program.
COURSES, CREDIT AND CERTIFICATIONS
HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT
Students receive up to 3 high school elective credits each year for successful completion of the program. Passage of the certification exam will award the student 2 student-verified elective credits, one of which can be substituted for a verified credit in either science or history.
National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER Core)
Occupational Safety and Health Administrations, 10 hour (OSHA-10)
Virginia Workplace Readiness Skills Assessment
|Class||State Code||Duration||Grades||Dual Enrollment||Credential(s)||AM or PM|
|Building Trades I & II||8515, 8516||1 year||10-12||-||NCCER Core|
Germanna Community College
- Technical Studies Industrial Maintenance, A.I.T.
Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Manufacturing Technology (Career Studies Certificate)
James Madison University
- Industrial Design, B.S.
Old Dominion University
- General Engineering, B.S.
University of Virginia
- Architectural Design, B.S.
- Multi-Disciplinary Architectural Studies, B.S.
- Urban & Environmental Planning, B.A.E.P.
- Landscape Architecture, Bachelor
- Construction Science, Bachelor
- Building Construction B.S.
- Industrial Design, B.S.
- Landscape Architecture, L.A.R.
- Industrial & Systems Engineering, I.S.E.
- Materials Science & Engineering, M.S.E.
- Career Opportunity: Construction Worker
Work on framing, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing jobs.
- National Wage Average: $47,000.00
- Virginia Wage Average: $42,000.00
- Projected Job Growth in Virginia: +21.2%
- Career Opportunity: Carpenter
Construct & repair building frameworks structures; such as, stairways, door frames; partitions; rafters; & bridge supports made from wood & other materials. They also install kitchen cabinets, siding, & drywall.
- National Wage Average: $42,090.00
- Virginia Wage Average: $40,680.00
- Projected Job Growth in Virginia: +6%
- Career Opportunity: Architectural Designer & Drafter
Prepare detailed drawings of architectural & structural features of buildings & topographical relief maps used in civil engineering projects such as highway, bridges, & public works. They use knowledge of building materials, engineering practice & mathematics to complete drawings.
- National Wage Average: $53,470.00
- Virginia Wage Average: $50,950.00
- Projected Job Growth in Virginia: +7%